Wednesday 20 May 2015

The Last Game

Due to some strange twist of fate, you discover you can only ever play one more game of your favourite role-playing game...ever.

So which one is it?

Have you ever considered this?

Were I in that position, I can without a shadow of a doubt, declare it would be full-strength Dungeons & Dragons. As blasphemous as this may sound to some, I have a sneaking suspicion it may be 3rd edition. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons would equate a close second, if not equal, though I'd have a difficult time deciding. I began my journey (properly) with 3rd edition, and although I have little interest in playing it these days, it will forever hold a place in my heart as the fondly-remembered and immersive experience of D&D. AD&D on the other hand, is the very first, truly the first, role-playing game I EVER played in my life. And again, it will always hold a soft spot within my consciousness of what a game of D&D truly entails, and the feel that such a game has the potential of conjuring.

In asking this question, it clarifies for me what is the quintessential D&D experience. While I am on a dark, weird, gritty, no-demis buzz at the moment, if I could only ever play one more game, I think I would be playing with the full trope of humanoids. It would be one badass session where I fight dragons and goblins and orcs. I would probably play some kind of kickass ranger or fighter and slay my way through a hoard. There would be elves and dwarves, halflings and gnomes, half-elves, and of course half-orcs.

I have no point, other than thinking about this idea interests me.

So if you could only play one more game, what edition would you be playing, and why?


No comments:

Post a Comment